Monday, August 11, 2008

The Channel Crossing


For the last week we have been anchoring in Cawsand Bay, Plymouth just pottering around and waiting for a good weather forecast to cross the dreaded Bay of Biscay. Which I am sooooo nervous about that I just want to get it out of the way.
Originally sym thought it would be a good idea to leave from Plymouth straight across Biscay arriving in La Coruna - which we were all planned to do. I think he likes to chuck me in the deep end as the longest sail ive ever done is one day, now we plan to do five. A bit like the scenario when he told me that night sailing was so romantic with all the stars and I was going to love it. Then he takes me out in a force 8 head on into the wind across Lyme Bay ( on our previous boat ) and I honestly thought I was going to die, even the god damn fishing men were turning away.
Anyway a bit of a diversion there so ill get back to my point. The weather has been so shockingly shit - force south westerly for a week that we decide to take our chance and just cross the channel and get to France cos there was a break from SW winds for about 24 hours, so we decide to head of in quite windy swelly seas ( not ideal ) but long can you wait, good weather might never come we were starting to think.
Role on a different country, its only been a couple of weeks but we are getting so impatient and want to get going and I want this damn Biscay crossing out of my hair.
My first night sail was a bit daunting. I felt quite sea sick and the poor cats had not moved out of their blankets for 24 hours. We are starting to think this is very cruel!At the same time telling ourselves that we are at anchor 90 % of the time and fingers still crossed that they will get used to it.Plus Wolverine is so cute we cant get rid of him for selfish reasons.

I start to think to myself “what the fuck are we doing” and I go below to try and get some sleep, but my tummy is going nuts and I cant get to sleep. A few hours later I start to dread as I know its my turn on my own while sym gets some rest. When I come out low and behold there are bloody lights from boats everywhere and its rough as anything. Hopefully it will harden me up. Sym is soo good though, he looks after me on the whole trip.
Anyway it was not so bad on my own. The blessed sun finally comes up and we prepare to cross the busiest shipping channel in the world - where we did not see one boat!!
The cats are starting to come round and go down for something to eat We catch dodgy looking fish with a big beak, we end up chucking it back in the water cos I felt far too rough to be chopping of a fish head and gutting it all for the cats benefit, they can make do with dried biscuits tonight!
It feels good to be in France. We hoist up our first courtesy flag and the sun is shinning. We take off our British wintery socks and trainers and get the hats and shades out. A celebrating dinner of Moules and Frites me thinks, after all we really do deserve it!
Its funny how quick you forget the sea sickness and the pain in the arse its been and how scared you felt the night before. I thought to myself I was being such a pussey, it was not that bad and we survived!
Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment